🕑 Cooking Time:
⌛ Prep Time:
The Ingredients List
- ~700 grams Pork Belly (no bones)
- 8 stalks Spring onions (chopped into thirds)
- ~ 160 grams Ginger (thick slices)
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 ¼ cup Chinese Shaoxing wine
- ½ cup Light Soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Dark Soy sauce
- ¼ cup Black vinegar
- 180 grams Rock Sugar
- Remove hair on pork belly skin and blanch it: Wash pork belly. Heat up wok or a large pan until very hot, burn hair off by pushing skin side against hot wok/pan just for a few seconds. Pour in boiling water until pork is fully submerged. Let it cook for about 2 minutes on high heat, and then turn it over to the other side and cook for another 2 minutes. Drain water.
- Cut pork into smaller pieces (~5cm x 5cm). To keep them in shape, tie each piece with cooking twine similar to when you are wrapping presents with a ribbon string.
- Prepare ingredients in clay pot: Evenly spread out spring onions in clay pot, making sure to cover the bottom of the clay pot. This will avoid burning the pork belly. Neatly place ginger slices and garlic cloves above the spring onions, then place pork belly pieces on top of them with skin side down. Finally, add in all other remaining ingredients (Chinese Shaoxing wine, light and dark soy sauces, black vinegar and rock sugar). Cover with lid and let it simmer on low heat for 1 hour and 30 mins.
- Further steam pork pieces for 4 hours: Transfer pork pieces onto smaller heat-proof plates or shallow bowls and place them skin side up. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the sauce from clay pot onto each plate/bowl over the pork piece/s. Steam for 4 hours. For the last 30 minutes, steam at high heat.
- Prepare sauce closer to serving time: discard spring onions and garlic from sauce in clay pot, leaving ginger slices. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes to reheat sauce, then discard ginger slices.
- To serve, cut and remove cooking twine from pork belly pieces, and drizzle sauce over. Serve with rice and vegetables.