Peri Peri Sauce Blog
700 ml (3 cups)
🕑 Cooking Time:
⌛ Prep Time:
The Ingredients List
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 15 Bird-eye Chillies
- 1 Carolina Reaper (Optional; Spice Level: very hot)
- 8 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Large Onion (minced)
- 2 tablespoons White Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Table Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- ½ tablespoon Paprika Smoked
- ½ tablespoon Paprika Sweet
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Red Capsicum (Halved)
- 2 Large Lemon (juice)
- Preheat oven at 200°C
- Roast and peel the skin off red capsicum: Slice capsicum in halves and roast in oven for approximately 25 minutes until there is some char. Leave aside to cool and then peel the skin off the capsicum.
- Sauté minced onion and garlic in a small pan for 10 minutes or until brown. Leave aside to cool.
- Combine and place all Peri Peri sauce ingredients into a food blender and blend very well until texture is smooth and consistent.
- Pour the blended mixture into a sauce pan and let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, then let it cool.
- You may use sauce immediately after cooled or you may store in tight sealed containers or jar. It can be kept in the refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Oven-baked peri-peri chicken
- Pat dry chicken pieces or entire chicken, then season with coarse salt.
- Marinate with peri-peri sauce for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. For a whole chicken, butterfly by removing the neck bone with sharp scissors, flatten whole chicken on tray and thoroughly marinate (you need approximately 250ml of peri-peri sauce).
- Take marinated chicken out of refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes prior to cooking.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- When ready to cook, place chicken pieces in oven for 30-40 minutes. If they are boneless chicken pieces, it can take about 30 minutes. If pieces with bone, it can take about 40 minutes. A whole chicken can take about 45 minutes (baste with the chicken juices from tray in the last 10 minutes) depending on size.
- Rest chicken for 5~10 minutes before serving.