🕑 Cooking Time:
⌛ Prep Time:
The Ingredients List
- 2kg Live Mud Crabs (~2 crabs)
- Oil for flash frying
- 10 Red Chillies (roughly chopped)
- 3cm Ginger (roughly diced)
- 4 Shallots (roughly diced)
- 1½ bulb of Garlic (roughly diced/minced)
- 3 tablespoon Salted Soy Beans /Fermented Soy Bean paste (if not paste, mash beans into paste)
- ½ cup and 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- ½ cup Tomato Puree
- 5 tablespoons White Sugar
- 1½ teaspoons Table Salt
- 800 ml Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons Corn Starch mixed with 4 tablespoons cold Water
- 4 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- Spring onion and/or coriander for garnish
- For preparation of live mud crabs, refer to blog
- Blend chillies, ginger, shallots and garlic together in food processor and put aside
- Flash fry crab: pour deep frying oil into saucepan, heat it up to around 180°C, and fry pieces (in batches if saucepan is small) until they turn bright red. This should take no longer than a minute. Leave aside to drain.
- In a clean wok, heat up about 4 tablespoons of oil. You may reuse the frying oil. At low to medium heat, fry the blended mixture of chillies, ginger, shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add salted soy bean paste, ketchup, tomato puree, sugar and salt, followed by chicken stock. Stir as you go. Taste and season to your liking at this stage. When it begins to simmer, carefully add in fried crab pieces. Quickly stir to coat pieces with sauce. Cover wok with lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove crab pieces from sauce and set aside. Pour in corn starch and water mixture and stir, followed by quickly pouring in the beaten eggs. Lightly swirl or stir as you pour in the eggs. When mixture thickens, turn heat off.
- You may pour crab pieces back into wok and toss them altogether with the sauce before serving on a dish OR simply pour the sauce over crab pieces that are already nicely plated on a serving dish.
- Garnish with diced up spring onions and/or coriander
- Served with steamed or fried mantous/buns